Canadian Pacific Float Base

Built in 1946 on the waterfront in Old Town, this City of Yellowknife Heritage Site was the city's first permanent floatplane base. Many aviation pioneers once worked out of this building, including Stan McMillan and Max Ward. In earlier years, the large hall was also used for social gatherings such as the Fireman's Ball, hockey banquets, and New Year's Eve parties. 

Our Stories

Intriguing tales from Canada's Northwest Territories