Offer Date: February 1st - March 30, 2020
Welcome to dog sledding at its best! This is real mushing in the real Arctic with real huskies! Learn to drive a sled with your own beautiful white husky dog team. These Siberian/Malamute huskies are not typical racing hounds, but they do like to race each other on our unique multi-track trail system, and that’s as close to racing as we get! This package is six days of easy dog sledding to and from a warm cabin every day for people who don’t like to feel cold but dream of having fun out there with huskies in the snow.
Get a flight to Inuvik and we pick you up at the airport and check you in to a cozy full-service cabin unit (yes, with shower and all) where you will live for the week. You also have the option to upgrade to a larger Premium cabin with a full kitchen if one is available. We even have a lovely premium Family Cabin.
The first day you arrive we will give you a short tour of the town and take you to the grocery store so you can pick up some food to prepare in your cabin’s kitchenette. We do not have a dining room on the property, but we will give you a courtesy car to drive to town anytime you want to eat out. Of course we will outfit you in our warmest outer gear every day so you can stay warm while you are out in the snow. Steger mukluks are the best winter boots for snowshoeing, walking and dog sledding and you can order your own pair to keep when you leave or we will loan you a used pair from our own stock.
Every day we will explore a new route and we will even take you out to our comfortable Loon Cabin for an overnight stay. No other cabins are on the lake or in the Loon Cabin area. There you are in a secluded winter wonderland. Meals out at the remote cabin are vegetarian, but if you like, you can bring some of your own meat products along that do not require cooking.
Every day you will help get the dogs ready for the run and help with feeding these hungry critters after the run. Tip: Keep your face mask up if you don’t want slobbery kisses on the lips! Our dogs love people and demand lots of affection (even though you sign a waiver).
- Airport welcome and shuttle to the Arctic Chalet
- Short town tour to shop for groceries
- Kennel tour - Meet the huskies
- 1-hour Introductory dog sled run
- Feed and water dogs (kennel chores)
- 9 am Help our staff soup the dogs
- 1 pm Prepare for dogsledding down the Mackenzie River and we will bring you back on the ice road
- Tour time: about 2-3 hours.
- Kennel chores
- 9 am Morning chores and snowshoeing with a husky
- 11 am Prepare for dogsledding to Picnic Lake for a campfire lunch
- Tour time: about 4 hours
- Kennel chores after the run
- 9 am Morning chores and some cuddle time with the huskies
- 1 pm Prepare dogs to run to the Loon Cabin (2 hours each way)
- Stake out the dogs on chains next to the cabin
- Help feed and water the dogs
- Enjoy dinner at the cabin (vegetarian)
- 10 am morning chores
- Enjoy a vegetarian Breakfast
- Go snowshoeing on a beautiful trail overlooking the lake
- Have lunch
- Prepare the dogs to leave the cabin
- Travel back to Inuvik
- 9 am morning chores and say goodbye to the dogs
- 10 am Take a courtesy car into town for shopping
- 11 am Check out and shuttle to the airport for your flight south
For more information, visit our website or give us a call!