Blachford Lake offers trophy sized Lake Trout and Northern Pike! In recent years the winning entries in our Trophy Release Contest were a 38 lb. Lake Trout, and a 32 lb. Northern Pike. Whitefish can be caught in Blachford Lake, and Walleye (around 4 or 5 lb.) can be caught on two of the adjoining lakes that are just a short walk from Blachford Lake. The ice melts on the lake in early June making it an excellent time for fishing. Throughout June thru to early July, fish are generally caught close to the surface. In late August thru to September Northern Pike bite a lot in shallow water. In early September Trout swim in deeper water and by late September they rise to shallow water to spawn.
At Blachford we actively promote a “Catch & Release” Fish Management Program that includes the use of barbless hooks and fish gloves to ensure the careful and healthy release of all large fish. However, we encourage our guests to enjoy tasty smaller fish for shore lunches or dinners!
We supply boats, motors and gas. Our lead guide will give you a full orientation of the lake and an overview of how to operate the boat and motor. We have 16 foot high transom aluminum boats with 15 HP 4 stroke motors – ideal for trolling.
Our summer season is a great time for fishing of course, but we offer much more such as canoeing, kayaking, boating and hiking. We also offer traditional Dene handicrafts led by our Indigenous elders. While hiking around the lodge grounds, you will also discover an abundance of northern wildflowers and berries, eagles, loons and beaver dams. Spend your evenings lounging in our hot tub, or detoxing in our lakefront sauna. Late summer (August) is a great time to listen to the loons while watching the Aurora reflect in the water.
Accommodations at Blachford Lake Lodge include five guest bedrooms in the main lodge and five cozy hand-built log cabins. All five of the log cabins are fully equipped with a wood or pellet stove, and electricity. Our main lodge facilities include a dining room, conference room, an Aurora-viewing lounge, a bar, full kitchen, hot showers, high-tech composting toilets, fireplaces, sauna, hot tub, and open decks for Aurora viewing – all the amenities of a “world-class” lodge.
- Flightseeing charter Yellowknife - Blachford - YellowknifeLodge or cabin accommodation
- Welcome orientation
- All meals
- All snacks
- Coffee, tea, juice
- Use of hot tub and sauna
- Handicraft workshop in the lodge
- Igloo/Quinzhee building (condition dependant)
- Introduction and hints about aurora photography
- Use of Lodge Facilities: Dining room, Aurora lounge, fireplaces, northern library, bathrooms with showers, basins and toilets, hot tub, sauna, open decks
- Use of seasonal equipment (cross country skis, snowshoes, groomed 2-6k trails, fat tire bikes, firepits, skates, ice fishing gear)
- Two hour interperative experience each day
- Comprehensive pre-departure information
- Items of a personal nature
- Travel insurance
- Snowmobile tours
- Alcoholic beverages
- Winter clothing rental (available - just ask!)
- All rates are per person and are quoted in Canadian dollars. Please add 5% goods and services tax and 10% gratuities.
- Single supplement requests (private, single occupancy) add 25% to the package rate
- Please double check with our office for availability prior to booking your flights in/out of your home city and Yellowknife.
- All guests will be required to sign a liability waiver when booking.
- While it is not mandatory, we 100% recommend all guests ensure they have emergency medical coverage prior to visiting the lodge.