Take this quiz to find out how your long weekend stacks up against a legendary time in the Northwest Territories
In the Northwest Territories, the long weekend isn't just three days circled on the calendar months in advance. Really, it's a verb. Particularly in the summer, the long weekend is an opportunity for intrepid residents to make big plans and live even bigger adventures in a wild world that starts quite literally in their backyards.
Hike through the tundra to photograph an endless landscape that explodes with colour? Why not?
With another always-too-brief holiday in the books, take this quiz to see if your long weekend ended like an NWTer.
You took off on a camping trip and...
- ...pulled your RV into a nearby campground, took a deep, rejuvenating breath of the pure air and hunkered down for a cozy evening around the campfire. 1 point
- ...hiked into a lake, carrying as much as you comfortably could. Here, you joined some close friends - and made a few new ones - for long days of quality time outdoors. 2 points
- ...paddled and portaged into your secret, secluded spot for an undisturbed, unspoiled and uninterrupted commune with nature. 3 points
You yawned to life on the first morning and the first thing you did was...
- ...roll over, and close your eyes to get another hour of sleep. It was the weekend after all. 1 point
- ...got up and made sure you had some cowboy coffee ready for the rest of your group. 2 points
- ...ran down for an invigorating jump in the lake. Then you were awake and ready to go! 3 points
Midway through a scenic day-hike, you stopped for a snack and...
- ...were transfixed by the serene call of a solitary loon echoing across the lake. 1 point
- ...witnessed an eagle take flight, only to see it come to rest near the top of a tall spruce tree. You pulled out your binoculars for a better look and realized this is the home of its giant nest when you glimpsed the fuzzy heads of two hungry eaglets. 2 points
- ...watched as a moose slowly emerged from some brush upwind and strolled down to the lake for a drink. The surreal scene played out in complete and utter silence, as if it all occurred in slow motion. 3 point
You busted out the fishing rod and...
- ...had a couple bites, but no luck. 1 point
- ...caught a nice-sized walleye and took a selfie with it. 2 points
- ...wrestled a feisty Northern Pike to shore. Since it wasn't too big, you decided to fillet it - expertly working your knife around its tricky 'y-bones' - before coating it in your tried-and-true shore lunch recipe that you will take to your grave. 3 points
When it came time for dinner, you...
- ...unpacked the steaks marinating in your cooler and grilled them up over an open flame. 1 point
- ...fried up some fresh-caught fish for some improvised fish tacos. 2 points
- ...let your friends snack on some fish you smoked at home after your last fishing trip, before serving them baked fillets seasoned with wild local herbs you just foraged. 3 points
You made a point to stay up late on your last night and...
- ...witnessed a breathtaking sunset. 1 point
- ...failed. You were so bushed from your busy day that you fell right asleep under the stars. 2 points
- ...were rewarded when the Aurora made a late-summer appearance in the dusky sky, dancing from horizon to horizon, reflecting off the glassy lake and capping off a perfect trip. 3 points
You got home and...
- ...sighed, stowed away your gear and reflected on the long weekend that was. 1 point
- ...met some friends for dinner, scrolling through your photos to show them all the fun things you just did and saw. 2 points
- ...immediately started planning your next great long weekend adventure. 3 points
Now tally up your points. If you scored...
...between 1 - 6, you are one happy camper. You clearly enjoy recharging your batteries by spending your time outdoors.
...between 7 - 12, you are a nature lover. You take every opportunity you can to appreciate the natural world all around you.
...between 13 - 17, you are a surefire adventurer. You obviously know how to long weekend like a boss.
...between 18 - 20, you are a true Northerner. You are most at home in the wilderness and you're the go-to trip-planning resource in your friend group. You get things done and - more importantly - have fun.
...21, you are an absolute legend. Wow! You have to tell us where you went!