The Old Log School House was the first school in Yellowknife. It was built in 1937 by prominent Yellowknife pioneers Ray G. 'Red' McPhie and 'Sleepy Jim' McDonald. Originally used as a mining kitchen and bunkhouse, it became a one-room schoolhouse in 1939, where Mildred Hall presided as the first teacher in Yellowknife. Space was so limited that the 32 students attended in shifts. After one year of operation, classes had to relocate to a larger building. The schoolhouse was moved to the present location, in front of the district educational offices, in 1987.