Denínu Kųę – “Moose island place”
At the terminus of Hwy 6, where the Slave River washes into Great Slave Lake, this Chipewyan and Métis town is the oldest in the NWT. Founded when the North West Company began trading for furs here in 1791, trapping remains a key local industry, along with commercial fishing and timber-harvesting. There’s lots of lush, scenic lakeshore where you can take a stroll, cast a line, or launch a boat into the waves.
Location: 61°10′ N, 113°40′ W
Elevation: 160 metres
Traditional name: Denínu Kųę – “Moose island place”
Setting: At the mouth of the Slave River on the level, lushly forested south shore of Great Slave Lake
Languages: Chipewyan, English
Ethnicities: Chipewyan, Métis, non-Aboriginal
Getting here: By road from Hay River (two hours)
Founded in: For centuries, Chipewyan and other Dene people used this area. The first fur-trading post in the North was built here in 1791 by Cuthbert Grant Sr. of the North West Company. In 1819, Aualay McAulay of the Hudson’s Bay Company built a competing post nearby, which he named Fort Resolution
Claim to fame: The oldest continuously occupied town in the Northwest Territories, and long the primary fur-trading centre on Great Slave Lake
Historic highlight: Signing of Treaty 8 on July 25, 1900, by chiefs Sunrise, Snuff, Drygeese, Beaulieu and others
Don’t miss: The abandoned site of Pine Point, 45 minutes west of town – once one of the biggest mining towns in the North, and now an eerie network of paved roads and sidewalks being overtaken by the wilderness
Visit for: Spring Carnival and Northwest Territories Dogsled Championships (March); Deninoo Days community festival (end of September)
NWT Tourism offers these links as a courtesy. We are not responsible for the content of third party pages.